Oil Cooler Information

Forum dédié aux Alpine A110
Forum dedicated to Alpine A110
Répondre
Christopher Marsden
Pilote novice
Pilote novice

Oil Cooler Information

I'm just about to fit an oil cooler to my 1600 (1565cc). Can anyone please tell me the following:

Once the cooler is fitted how much more engine oil should be added?
What size should the fittings be that connect the radiator (Setrab 19 row unit) to the sandwich plate? Am proposing to use the Goodridge range
What size (bore) of pipe do I need and what lengths?

Thanks
Gouffy56
Pilote semi-pro
Pilote semi-pro

Re: Oil Cooler Information

Once the cooler is fitted how much more engine oil should be added?

The way I proceeded: drain the system completely. Then add engine oil to the level, my cooler is lower than the engine, thus it's an easy situation. I run the engine to make sure no air is trapped in the system, then check the level again. I don't remember how much more it was as compared to the absence of cooler because I did this some time ago and have been contracting the oil change since then. Note that my engine is a boosteed 1647cc (about 145 HP).

What size should the fittings be that connect the radiator - What size (bore) of pipe do I need and what lengths?
I used DASH8 for both hose and fittings. Tried to make lines as short as possible but the sandwich plate being on the left and the oil cooler on the right, one line is 1 m long and the other 1.2 m. With the high flow oil pump my pressure is 6 bars when cold.

Regards
A110 1600 SX 1977 - MG B 1971
Christopher Marsden
Pilote novice
Pilote novice

Thank you very much for the information. Sorry to bother you but do you have any photographs of your oil cooler in position in the car, presuming it is inside the right rear wing? I have obtained a fibreglass housing for the radiator from GBS but it isn't very obvious where it goes exactly. I was expecting to have to do some laminating in order to position it but I need to know the correct location. I also have a cooling fan. presumably that fits against the radiator, ie is attached to it?

Regards
Gouffy56
Pilote semi-pro
Pilote semi-pro

I have a comprehensive pdf file reporting the installation of my oil cooler. If you provide me with an e-mail address by MP (personal message) I'll send it to you. It's a 6MB report in French but it includes many pictures that speak for themselves.
Regards
A110 1600 SX 1977 - MG B 1971
Christopher Marsden
Pilote novice
Pilote novice

Many thanks for this. Please see below:

chris@southfen.co.uk
Gouffy56
Pilote semi-pro
Pilote semi-pro